Welcome to Markegard Family Grass-Fed
Ranching in San Mateo and Sonoma Counties
Markegard Family Grass-Fed provides the community with locally born, raised and processed certified grass-fed beef and lamb, chicken and pasture raised pork. Customers can order beef, lamb and pork online through our shop to be delivered around the Bay Area, at Farmers Markets. Make sure to check out our CSA to join the other committed members who benefit with regular access to limited products, sales and special events! We look forward to serving you and your family with the freshest, healthiest local meats in the Bay Area!
We will deliver to your door orders $100 or more in San Mateo County only.
- Our ranch is pesticide and chemical fertilizer free
- Our cattle and sheep are never grain fed or given synthetic hormones or antibiotics
- No genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
- Raised on a family ranch
- Cattle are not put in feedlots and only finished on grasslands
- Fed only the forage the range provides
- Our grazing methods improve the biodiversity of the land
- By stimulating grassland health through our Holistic Context, carbon is captured in the soil and watersheds are regenerated.
Our philosophy in grazing is to manage the cattle herd to simulate the large herds of Elk and Antelope which once roamed California’sgrasslands. We accomplish this by keeping the herd moving with Holistic planned grazing, so as never to overgraze an area, but to stimulate growth and grass-land health through properly timed grazing. Watershed Stewardship is at the forefront of our management practices.
Health Benefits of Choosing Grass-Fed
Meat and dairy products from pastured animals are ideal for your health. Compared with commercial products, they offer you more "good" fats, and fewer "bad" fats. They are richer in antioxidants; including vitamins E, beta-carotene, and vitamin C. Furthermore, they do not contain traces of added hormones, antibiotics or other drugs. Find out more at Eat Wild.
Slide Show Photos by: Federica Armstrong